Sunday, February 13, 2011

AIDSAFARI by Adam Levin

Back in 2006 when I was looking on a book about AIDS relevant to me as a South African I came across this book. It was refreshing to read it. Its a memoir by Adam Levin.

The fact that the Author is white and gay had no reference to me as I identified with the author. Its about the struggle the author went through in dealing with the disease. I learnt to appreciate a lot reading this book. The author talks about the disease not being a sentence.

There is one part in the book when he is talking with Stephen,an AIDS survivor, he say "I dont care if you remember anything else, but I want you to remember this. There are times when you cant see anything at all. But if you look,then somewhere, far out in the distance, you'll see the faint lights of a runway. And you take that runway, my boy,and you run with it!.....I know there are times when this feels like a punishment.....like it's some horrible,horrible curse. But it isn't. I am telling you, my boy: It's a gift"

The author say that living with Aids makes each day a brand new beginning- a day of fear, suffering,inconveniences and complications but its still a day no less. He talks about waking up and wondering if he can stomach the medication for the rest of his life. And he is wondering what discomfort lies in store for him. But then when he is wondering whether he can live with the disease he comes to this conclusion "Not living with it. Not living at all"

Its not a choice really we live, until the Lord calls on us. I love this book and I have shared it with so many of my friends. They love it, and they are not even positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment